Thursday, October 7, 2010

Lamp Remodel

Well, we're 4 days past our due date and into overtime waiting for this baby. While I've been waiting, I've been working on projects here and there. One of my projects was this lamp. I really hate this lamp...always have. It's one my husband had before we were married. We Craigs Listed it, along with the matching floor lamp, several years ago. To my chagrin, the people who responded only wanted the floor lamp and not the pair. So......

Here's my attempt at making it a little more my style. 

One afternoon while blog hopping, I came across a cute little blog entitled On My Side of the Room. Kendra created an adorable little ribbon lamp which you can check out HERE. When I saw her post, I knew immediately what I wanted to do. I adapted her idea a bit to fit the supplies I already had. 
Below are the "BEFORE" pictures of my "ugly lamp." 


I went to the garage and dug out some fabric that I had used years ago for curtains in my little basement apartment in Richmond, VA. I LOVE it when I can recycle something that I've been holding on to for ages thinking, "I'll need this for something one day." :D Well, "one day" finally arrived for this fabric! 


My mom (who is visiting and waiting for baby's arrival too) and I went to work tearing it into different width strips. I was going for a very shabby chic look. Pictured below are two of the many, many strips we tore.
All I did was tie the strips directly around the lampshade, having the bows fall in different spots. Some strips I just knotted on the back so I wouldn't end up with too many bows and have major overkill. 

Below are the "AFTER" pictures.



I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. I'm not sure if I'm finished or not. I still may want to do something with the base, but it's far more my style now than it was. :D YEA for recycled fabric/Richmond, VA curtains. :D

Here's a shot of the room it's in, just for kicks. 

Now we're back to just waiting for baby. :D

Check out some awesome link-up parties here or on my sidebar. :)

7 comments:

malia said...

Darling! Great job

Sara Davis said...

Cristan,
Just so you know, I love reading your blog. You are so creative and I do check back often. Can't wait to hear news of the baby. Maybe one time when Kelly is out there, I can tag along and visit. I LOVE your craft corner. Inspiring!
Sara Davis

decor4poor@blogspot.com said...

That looks so good. I have to try that. I love your blog.

Megan Gunyan said...

What a fun way to improve a lampshade! I love this because there's no glue involved and it turned out so beautiful. I'd love for you to share this at my link party going on now! alittleknickknack.blogspot.com

oops! said...

It is so cute! I have a couple of lamps that I was going to get rid of - now I am going to give them a face lift!

Stacey said...

Very cute! It looks great with the rest of the room!

Pearl said...

Thats adorable.


Pearl

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...