Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Fleur de Lis Coasters

This project has been on my mental to-do list for ages and I'm proud to say that I've finally gotten started. Whew! It's about time! A while back (a loooong while back) I saw this post on Blueprint Crafts. I thought they were so cute. 
You'll need a couple of things: 

I recently borrowed a friend's cricut - I SOOO NEED ONE OF THOSE - and cut out some fleur de lis shapes. I'm a sucker for all things fleur de lis. 

I used my handy-dandy mod podge to coat the tiles and adhere the fleur de lis. 
I used my hard coat mod podge because I feel like last spring I read somewhere that it handles heat better?? This will be my experimental round. 

I put felt on the four bottom corners to keep them from scratching up the furniture and I still need to coat the top of the coasters with a varnish (that I don't yet own), but here is how they're turning out so far. 


I'm going to let them cure for a month and then see how they handle a hot coffee cup. :) I love them and think they'll make excellent little gifts for girlfriends and sisters! Can't you just picture a set of four, tied with a cute little ribbon and name tag? :D

Check out these link up parties!

8 comments:

Elizabeth Miller said...

Love these, Cristan! I just saw this idea for the first time on Etsy the other day. I think these just may be on my Christmas to-do list for family this year. Thanks for sharing the process! Hope you and your family are doing well!

Jordan said...

these look awesome! thanks for the link back :)

Doreen said...

Fluer-de-lis are so beautiful. Your coasters are great. I use regular Mod Podge on my altered tile coasters, and haven't had a problem with hot cups. And congrats on your baby! my two babies are practically adults now. When you get a chance, I hope you will visit my blog.
http://altered-artworks.blogspot.com
P.S. I love your blog title!

Design It Chic said...

These turned out so pretty, Cristan! You are very creative. I am now following you thanks to Wandering Wednesday and it would be so nice if you could share the love back on my blog:)
And don't forget to check our new Blog Tutorial going on today, to learn a few very easy tricks to make your blog simply fabulous and have more fun with it. See you there!
Happy St. Patrick's Day

Anonymous said...

I LOVE these!! Being a Louisiana girl I am lovin' some fleur-de-lis!!
Do you know what cartridge she used for THIS fleur-de-lis???

Valerie said...

These are so great! I have a friend whose husband is completely obsessed with The Saints (therefore all things fleur-de-lis! I am thinking I may have to make them some!


Valerie from Making Messes (http://valfrazier.blogspot.com)

Monkey Momma's Crafts said...

Kimberly-she used the Home Decor cartridge :) It was my cricut she borrowed and now she ordered the Expression and I'm totally jealous! ;) Can't wait for her to get it so we can have a Cricut party ;) haha.

Cristan-they turned out SO great!! I am putting up a link today on my blog to yours. I have 51 followers! woo hoo! Now I get to give away the tutu and hair bow! P.s. I had a GREAT time playing bunco last night! Fantastic mommy's night out!!

Cristan said...

I loved the Home Decor cartridge so much, I ordered it on ebay! :)

Thanks for all the kind comments. :) Happy coaster-making!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...