Monday, August 29, 2011

Creamy Chicken Enchiladas

I got a text message from my cousin in Texas yesterday saying that she had tried the Curried Egg Salad with homemade wheat bread (YUM) and that she and her husband had loved it! It's one of my husband's favorites as well. He's told me in the past, "Honey, you can make this one once a week." :D 
I love sharing recipes with friends and family. It's one of those little things that helps to span the miles when you live so far apart. :)

I made the following enchiladas for the guys this past week and thought they were pretty good. However, my husband let it be known that these are NOT his favorite. (Yes. He's shy like that. :) He prefers the sour cream enchiladas that I normally make for him. These have a cream cheese base and he wasn't a fan. You'll have to try them out and let me know what you think. My husband feels very strongly that cream cheese does not equal Mexican food. :) So, while I thought they were pretty tasty, this recipe is not going to make it into the "Husband Approved" category. :D 

For those of you still willing to experiment on your own friends or family, THIS IS A GREAT MAKE AHEAD AND FREEZE FOR THE FUTURE RECIPE! (Who doesn't need some of those?! :)

You'll need the following ingredients: 
2 T. butter
1 sliced onion
1 boneless, skinless chicken breast, cooked and shredded
2 T. diced green chilies
3 ounces diced cream cheese
salt to taste
1 c. (4 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack
3 T. vegetable oil
4 large flour tortillas
1/2 c. whipping cream

SERVES:4

(You'll notice in the pictures that I doubled the above ingredients. I'm cooking for two hungry runners and a pregnant gal. We can eat in this house!)

Directions: 
Melt butter in a large skillet over low heat. Add the onion and cook until translucent. 

Remove skillet from heat and add the chicken, chilies and cream cheese. Mix lightly and add salt to taste. 
(NOTE: If you're making this ahead, put in a 1-quart freezer bag, label and freeze. Put the Monterey Jack cheese in a sandwich bag and tape to the front of the larger bag. To serve, thaw the filling and Jack cheese and continue on with the remainder of this recipe.)

Heat the oil in the skillet. Dip the tortillas one at a time into the oil and fry for several seconds until they begin to blister and become limp. Remove and drain on paper towels. 

Spoon about 1/3 cup of the filling down the center of each tortilla.  

Roll and set, seam side down, in a 13x9-inch baking dish that has been greased.

Moisten by pouring the whipping cream over the enchiladas. 

Sprinkle with the cheese. 

Bake at 375 degrees for 20 minutes. 
YUM! 

(Well, at least I thought so. :)

Linking up to some of these great parties.

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...